Book Review: 'Salem's Lot - Stephen King - October Horror Fest (24,5)

'Salem's Lot by Stephen King
My rating: 3 of 10 stars

This was going to be part of October Horror Fest count but I wanted to watch 31 movies and this book even if it took a lot more time than the movies will be not be counted towards that goal...

This book felt like love-making.... I am sorry but I am going out to say it...
There are many ways of making love, right? Fast and Furious, Slow with Passion - okay I don't more words to say now but you get it right?

This book felt like a couple in a hot tub, massage, touching, some foreplay and then it's over in a minute in a half....

This movie, starts with 300 pages of knowing every single person of a town - some focus on two or three of them.
Then more 200 pages of building a tension but really nothing happens besides some people dying off and we get to know that the bad guy is trully remarkable...
Then of the last 100 pages we've got 2 pages focusing on final confrontation and that's done! We've got some two saviors...

I wanted more. Why give so much information about some people that felt so unimportanted by the end? I think King should have focus on four or five characters and the final confronation should be epic and not such a failure... Okay the end (after the killing of the master) could have give us a sequel of some sorts but... I felt cheated of 600 pages book that ended the way it ended. Great tension building to fell flat.

Stephen King is a master of world building. He could have done, well he has done a fantasy epic series because he can - but then he lacks the mastery of make ends... Most novels I've read of him I felt rushed in the endings... He spends too much time talking boring things about people we will never read again, or just to be died off but rushes the end. He made a good enemy. A smart enemy and then he kills it when sleeping with no fear or danger for our two guys ...

And why the similarity with Dracula? Damn... At times I felt that I reading Dracula in modern times...

Oh well...

I am still going to read all his books but I need a break.

View all my reviews

Comments